Unfortunately, the problem of elder abuse is very common in the United States. Hundreds of thousands of complaints are received annually about cruel treatment in the homes of the perpetrators, but it should be taken into account that for each such treatment, another 10 of the same vipers are not made public. And this problem becomes more urgent every year. Even according to rough estimates, by 2050 the US population aged 65 and over will be 25% of the total population of the country.
There are cases when a person in a nursing home, for a number of physical and psychological reasons, cannot report harsh treatment in his direction. That is why it is extremely important to know a number of signs that may indicate the use of harsh actions against your loved one:
- bed trauma of any kind or lying;
- sharp weight loss;
- bruises that cannot be explained or signs of injury;
- fear and anxiety in relation to the staff of the home of the harassed;
- Uncharacteristic excitement for a person, for no apparent reason, as well as emotional detachment.
If this list of signs is identified, it is worth sounding the alarm. Very often, severe violence in nursing homes leads to successful consequences, up to and including death …
In the event that you or your family have become victims of this command in the nursing home, then you need to take all the necessary measures in order to stop this vaping behavior and identify the perpetrators.
- You need to collect as much information as possible to confirm the fact of violence against someone. This can be: testimony of witnesses, photographs of injuries, as well as the date of the case of abuse;
- The next point you need to contact the appropriate institution and file a complaint about the person who provides care;
- You should contact the police to properly investigate the case of violence;
- You can also contact the Eldercare Locator, which deals with aging in the United States;
- Report the case of violence to the appropriate authorities in your state that handle violence against the elderly.
It is very important to take into account that violence can be not only at the physical level, but also at the psychological level. Negligence of staff, for example, in the mistaken intake of medications, can also serve as a separate type of violence.
The main thing is not to be afraid to seek help in cases of violence to you or your loved ones. Only there will you be able to achieve justice and indemnification for all your pain and suffering from abuse. You should probably hire an advocate to handle this heavy burden of tension and stress. The counsel will do all the dirty work for you, including interviewing witnesses in your case.
The main thing is not to be silent, and to seek justice in relation to you or your loved ones, and an advocate will be an excellent assistant to you in this.